Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why Fast?

Over the past few days, I've been searching my heart. What are my motives for fasting? Is it a hunger strike? Nope. What good would possibly come out of that?

My purpose is simply that there are some things that can only be overcome by prayer and fasting. Considering how busy my life has been lately, it seems like this is the perfect time to take a break and reflect on God and open the door to change. My purpose for fasting is to let some of the chains of my life to be broken. I felt like God wanted me to fast and it really hasn't been too difficult. My sacrifice is giving up all drinks, except water.

I read this verse and it spoke to me. This is my motive for fasting:
Is this not the fast which I choose,
To loosen the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the bands of the yoke,
And to let the oppressed go free
and break every yoke?
Isaiah 58:6


No comments: